Teen Family Support (TFS) Program
We are Here for You and Your Family
The Easter Seals Teen Family Support (TFS) Program staff have been assisting pregnant and parenting teenagers living in Winnebago County in developing and improving healthy parent/child relationships and successful child development for nearly 30 years.
What Can TFS Do For Me?
Pregnancy can be an uncertain and often scary time for any woman, but the added stresses of school, work and friends make it that much more challenging for teenagers. TFS staff will provide you with long-term support as you go through pregnancy, labor and delivery, and becoming a new mom.
- One-on-one support through Doulas and Family Support Workers
- Support and information through Prenatal and Parenting Support Groups
- Access to valuable community resources
- Help with continuing education, finding quality childcare and employment
What Can TFS Do For My Baby?
- Family Support Workers will perform developmental screenings while playing, walking and talking with your child. FSWs can make referrals to needed services
- if necessary.
- TFS provides creative parent/child activities including arts and crafts, belly casts and journaling. TFS staff will provide Family Administered Neonatal Activities (FANA)
- to enhance the bonding experience between you and your new baby. Fathers are welcome to participate in all activities and services.
What is a Doula?
A Doula provides you physical, emotional and informational support before, during and just after childbirth. Your Doula will help you develop a birthplan and will be available on-call 24 hours a day to assist you during labor and delivery.
What is a Family Support Worker?
Your Family Support Worker will provide the supportandinformationyou needto become a confident, self-sufficient parent.
Both Doulas and Family Support Workers will discuss issues concerning a pregnant or parenting mom, including:
- Promoting a healthy pregnancy, labor and delivery
- Encouraging and supporting breastfeeding Adjusting to becoming a parent
- Helping your baby learn and grow
- Understanding your child’s behavior
- Keeping you and your baby healthy
“The program has helped me find services for my baby and enroll him in school. school. I would like to be a Family Support Worker when I get older.” -Amber
Download Teen Family Support brochure for additional information
For more information, please contact:
Kathleen Kurtz, Program Manager
Teen Family Support Program
815 North Church
Rockford, IL 61103